Ryder Cup 2018: US captain Jim Furyk makes revelation ahead of tournament

The USA Captain has managed to temporarily put that aside in posting rounds of 65 and 68 at this week’s Wyndham Championship and the final event of the regular PGA Tour year ahead of the start next week of the four Play-Off Series events. Furyk’s efforts of a seven-under par tally is his best opening 36-holes in just the 15 events the 48-year-old has contested this year. It is no surprise also his European Team rival, Thomas Bjorn has played in only 13 tournaments while the Dane travelled all the way to St. Louis last week only to be forced out

Halep & Djokovic reach quarter-finals – but must play twice in a day

Simona Halep has lost twice in the final at Cincinnati Simona Halep and Novak Djokovic reached the quarter-finals of the Cincinnati Masters as a rain-affected schedule forced them to play twice in a day. World number one Halep of Romania beat Australia’s Ashleigh Barty 7-5 6-4 and had only a few hours’ break until her match with Ukraine’s Lesia Tsurenko. Wimbledon 2018 champion Djokovic of Serbia overcame Bulgaria’s Grigor Dimitrov 2-6 6-3 6-4. Djokovic was then set to play Canada’s Milos Raonic in the last eight. Swiss second seed Roger Federer beat Argentina’s Leonardo Mayer 6-1 7-6 (8-6) to reach

Bob Elliott’s Baseball: ’92-93 Blue Jays are worth remembering

And a good time was had by all … That was often the last line of a story in the newspaper when I’d read about an event my mother had attended. Maybe it was a church bake sale, a charity bazaar or an afternoon tea.  The Toronto Blue Jays hosted some members of the 1992-93 World Series champions on Saturday at the Rogers Centre. Hall of Famers Robbie Alomar and Dave Winfield were on hand. New Hall of Fame inductee Jack Morris and HOFer Paul Molitor were missing but videos of them were played. Morris was having his No. 47 retired at

Kevin Magnussen has created F1 Class B title battle in his mind

× You have now reached your limit of 15 stories this month. Register for free and continue reading – or subscribe and get unlimited access. Register for free Get 10 bonus articles Get unlimited access for £1 Subscribe today I already have an account. Sign in Are you a magazine subscriber? Activate your Plus account Source

‘Changes threaten death of Davis Cup’ – past winners Berdych & Hewitt speak out

Controversial proposals for the 118‑year‑old competition have been approved, despite opposition including from the Lawn Tennis Association Controversial plans to end the Davis Cup’s 37-year-old format will signal the death of the competition, says two-time winner Tomas Berdych. The 25-year £2.15bn plan approved at the International Tennis Federation AGM on Thursday would turn the Davis Cup into a season-ending 18-team event. But Czech Berdych, tweeting with the hashtag #ripdaviscup, said the history of the competition “will all be gone”. Former world number one Lleyton Hewitt called the decision a “disgrace”. “I am very proud to be a winner of the

New floor among Renault F1 aerodynamic updates for 2018 Belgian GP

× You have now reached your limit of 15 stories this month. Register for free and continue reading – or subscribe and get unlimited access. Register for free Get 10 bonus articles Get unlimited access for £1 Subscribe today I already have an account. Sign in Are you a magazine subscriber? Activate your Plus account Source

Robert Kubica driving ‘70% left-handed’ in F1 after rally injury

× You have now reached your limit of 15 stories this month. Register for free and continue reading – or subscribe and get unlimited access. Register for free Get 10 bonus articles Get unlimited access for £1 Subscribe today I already have an account. Sign in Are you a magazine subscriber? Activate your Plus account Source

Rapid growth hurt Renault Formula 1 team’s ‘bang-for-buck’

× You have now reached your limit of 15 stories this month. Register for free and continue reading – or subscribe and get unlimited access. Register for free Get 10 bonus articles Get unlimited access for £1 Subscribe today I already have an account. Sign in Are you a magazine subscriber? Activate your Plus account Source

‘Disaster written all over it’: Cash warns of end of Davis Cup

A World Cup-style tennis tournament could spell the end of the Davis Cup and “has disaster written all over it”, Australian Grand Slam and Davis Cup winner Pat Cash tells BBC Radio 4’s Today. Plans for the new tournament were approved by the International Tennis Federation on Thursday. Chief executive David Haggerty said the decision would elevate the Davis Cup “to new standards”. BBC Sport

Blue Jays lose long-delayed game against Royals, split series

While the Kansas City Royals overcame the weather, Toronto Blue Jays starter Sam Gaviglio was unable to overcome a fourth-inning balk. Lucas Duda homered, Rosell Herrera had three hits and the Royals beat the Blue Jays 6-2 after a long rain delay Thursday night to split their four-game series. Royals relievers Brian Flynn, Kevin McCarthy, Brandon Maurer and Wily Peralta shut down Toronto on three hits over the final five innings. Flynn (3-3) picked up the win with a scoreless inning. “Difficult circumstances, really,” Kansas City manager Ned Yost said. “Long wait, waiting out the rain. We weren’t sure we

Longtime Steelers LB James Harrison, 39, calls it quits for 2nd time

James Harrison is taking another shot at retirement, and this time it’s likely to stick for the longtime Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker.

The five-time Pro Bowler, two-time All Pro and 2008 NFL defensive player of the year announced on Instagram early Monday he is stepping away from the game following a 15-year career that saw him go from undrafted free agent to one of the most feared players in the league.

Harrison, 39, posted a collage of pictures of his two sons and noted he’s “missed way too much for way too long … and I’m done.”

Harrison played nearly his entire career with the Steelers, collecting 80.5 of his 84.5 career sacks while wearing black and gold, a franchise record. He spent the 2013 season in Cincinnati and signed with New England late last season, appearing in all three playoff games for the Patriots, including their Super Bowl loss to Philadelphia.

This is the second time Harrison has called it quits. He retired briefly in September 2014 only to be lured back to the Steelers. He remained productive into his late 30s, registering at least five sacks from 2014-16. Not bad for a player who went undrafted after graduating from Kent State and spent the early portion of his career primarily on special teams.

The six-foot Harrison compensated for his relative lack of height with remarkable strength and a relentlessness that made him one of the best edge rushers in the league and a vital part of a team that reached the Super Bowl three times from 2005-10, winning it twice.

Fined 4 times

His 100-yard interception return for a touchdown on the final play of the first half of the 2009 Super Bowl is one of the most iconic in NFL history.

Harrison’s physical play at times ran him into trouble with the league office. He was fined four times during the 2010 season alone for what the NFL considered illegal or unnecessary hits. Harrison lashed out at commissioner Roger Goodell, calling him “a crook” in a 2011 magazine article.

Harrison twice left the Steelers. He signed a deal with Cincinnati in the spring of 2013 but played only sparingly, leading him to retire in the fall of 2014. It lasted all of 18 days. He returned to Pittsburgh after injuries decimated the team’s linebacker group and in his second act became a valuable leader on the field and elsewhere, often including teammates in his draining (and well-documented) off-season workout regiments in Arizona.

At a position where few last into their mid-30s, Harrison continued to thrive. He finished among the top three on the team in sacks every year from 2014-16, and his pressure forced a hold by Kansas City left tackle Eric Fisher that negated the tying two-point conversion by the Chiefs in the divisional round of the 2016 playoffs.

Harrison signed a two-year deal last spring that would have kept him in Pittsburgh through his 40th birthday. He played sparingly for much of 2017 and the Steelers granted him his release in December. The Patriots quickly scooped him up. He had two sacks in his debut with New England in the 2017 regular-season finale and added seven more tackles in the playoffs.

CBC

About The Author

Reply

Get more stuff like this
in your inbox

Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.