Ryder Cup 2018: US captain Jim Furyk makes revelation ahead of tournament

The USA Captain has managed to temporarily put that aside in posting rounds of 65 and 68 at this week’s Wyndham Championship and the final event of the regular PGA Tour year ahead of the start next week of the four Play-Off Series events. Furyk’s efforts of a seven-under par tally is his best opening 36-holes in just the 15 events the 48-year-old has contested this year. It is no surprise also his European Team rival, Thomas Bjorn has played in only 13 tournaments while the Dane travelled all the way to St. Louis last week only to be forced out

Halep & Djokovic reach quarter-finals – but must play twice in a day

Simona Halep has lost twice in the final at Cincinnati Simona Halep and Novak Djokovic reached the quarter-finals of the Cincinnati Masters as a rain-affected schedule forced them to play twice in a day. World number one Halep of Romania beat Australia’s Ashleigh Barty 7-5 6-4 and had only a few hours’ break until her match with Ukraine’s Lesia Tsurenko. Wimbledon 2018 champion Djokovic of Serbia overcame Bulgaria’s Grigor Dimitrov 2-6 6-3 6-4. Djokovic was then set to play Canada’s Milos Raonic in the last eight. Swiss second seed Roger Federer beat Argentina’s Leonardo Mayer 6-1 7-6 (8-6) to reach

Bob Elliott’s Baseball: ’92-93 Blue Jays are worth remembering

And a good time was had by all … That was often the last line of a story in the newspaper when I’d read about an event my mother had attended. Maybe it was a church bake sale, a charity bazaar or an afternoon tea.  The Toronto Blue Jays hosted some members of the 1992-93 World Series champions on Saturday at the Rogers Centre. Hall of Famers Robbie Alomar and Dave Winfield were on hand. New Hall of Fame inductee Jack Morris and HOFer Paul Molitor were missing but videos of them were played. Morris was having his No. 47 retired at

Kevin Magnussen has created F1 Class B title battle in his mind

× You have now reached your limit of 15 stories this month. Register for free and continue reading – or subscribe and get unlimited access. Register for free Get 10 bonus articles Get unlimited access for £1 Subscribe today I already have an account. Sign in Are you a magazine subscriber? Activate your Plus account Source

‘Changes threaten death of Davis Cup’ – past winners Berdych & Hewitt speak out

Controversial proposals for the 118‑year‑old competition have been approved, despite opposition including from the Lawn Tennis Association Controversial plans to end the Davis Cup’s 37-year-old format will signal the death of the competition, says two-time winner Tomas Berdych. The 25-year £2.15bn plan approved at the International Tennis Federation AGM on Thursday would turn the Davis Cup into a season-ending 18-team event. But Czech Berdych, tweeting with the hashtag #ripdaviscup, said the history of the competition “will all be gone”. Former world number one Lleyton Hewitt called the decision a “disgrace”. “I am very proud to be a winner of the

New floor among Renault F1 aerodynamic updates for 2018 Belgian GP

× You have now reached your limit of 15 stories this month. Register for free and continue reading – or subscribe and get unlimited access. Register for free Get 10 bonus articles Get unlimited access for £1 Subscribe today I already have an account. Sign in Are you a magazine subscriber? Activate your Plus account Source

Robert Kubica driving ‘70% left-handed’ in F1 after rally injury

× You have now reached your limit of 15 stories this month. Register for free and continue reading – or subscribe and get unlimited access. Register for free Get 10 bonus articles Get unlimited access for £1 Subscribe today I already have an account. Sign in Are you a magazine subscriber? Activate your Plus account Source

Rapid growth hurt Renault Formula 1 team’s ‘bang-for-buck’

× You have now reached your limit of 15 stories this month. Register for free and continue reading – or subscribe and get unlimited access. Register for free Get 10 bonus articles Get unlimited access for £1 Subscribe today I already have an account. Sign in Are you a magazine subscriber? Activate your Plus account Source

‘Disaster written all over it’: Cash warns of end of Davis Cup

A World Cup-style tennis tournament could spell the end of the Davis Cup and “has disaster written all over it”, Australian Grand Slam and Davis Cup winner Pat Cash tells BBC Radio 4’s Today. Plans for the new tournament were approved by the International Tennis Federation on Thursday. Chief executive David Haggerty said the decision would elevate the Davis Cup “to new standards”. BBC Sport

Blue Jays lose long-delayed game against Royals, split series

While the Kansas City Royals overcame the weather, Toronto Blue Jays starter Sam Gaviglio was unable to overcome a fourth-inning balk. Lucas Duda homered, Rosell Herrera had three hits and the Royals beat the Blue Jays 6-2 after a long rain delay Thursday night to split their four-game series. Royals relievers Brian Flynn, Kevin McCarthy, Brandon Maurer and Wily Peralta shut down Toronto on three hits over the final five innings. Flynn (3-3) picked up the win with a scoreless inning. “Difficult circumstances, really,” Kansas City manager Ned Yost said. “Long wait, waiting out the rain. We weren’t sure we

Morocco takes on North America with $16B World Cup bid

Morocco would need to spend almost $16 billion US to prepare to host the 2026 World Cup, with every proposed stadium and training ground built from scratch or renovated, the bid said Saturday.

With less than three months to go until the FIFA vote, the north African nation presented the first significant details of its proposal to take on the joint bid from the United States, Canada and Mexico.

The North American bid plans to rely on existing infrastructure, including large NFL stadiums already hosting events.

For the first time, a high-risk bid that does not meet FIFA’s expectations on facilities and profit can be disqualified before the governing body’s congress votes on June 13.

When FIFA officials score the bids, infrastructure — of which half relates to stadiums — will account for 70 per cent of the panel’s mark. The remaining 30 per cent is based on projected costs and revenues.

‘Carefully costed’

For $3 billion, Morocco said it can build nine stadiums, refurbish five others and build or renovate 130 training grounds. That is part of the $12.6 billion in public investment that also requires hospital services being upgraded in 20 cities and transport networks improved for the World Cup after the jump from 32 to 48 participating nations.

The bid said another $3.2 billion of private investment is required to build hotels containing around 30,000 rooms.

Morocco’s bid team told The Associated Press the projections had been “carefully costed” but could not provide a breakdown on how the figures were reached.

Nine new stadiums are planned, including a 93,000-capacity home for the national team in Casablanca that would stage the opening game and final in 2026.

Stadiums would also be built in Oujda (45,600) and Tetouan (45,600), organizers said. New arenas to fit around 46,000 fans are planned in Casablanca, Marrakech, El Jadida, Meknes, Nador and Ouarzazate with the intention of downsizing them to unspecified capacities after the World Cup.

The five existing stadiums that need upgrading are in Marrakech (95,565), Agadir (46,048), Fez (46,092), Rabat (46,500) and Tangier (65,000).

North American drop outs

Morocco has mounted four unsuccessful World Cup bids, most recently for the 2010 tournament, while the United States was host in 1994 and was beaten in the vote for the 2022 event.

The North American bid included 23 cities , including 17 in the United States, in documents submitted to FIFA on Friday.

Sixty games would be played in the U.S. under the bid plan, including all from the quarterfinals on. Three cities were included from Mexico and Canada, who would stage 10 games each.

Although the U.S. has a substantial stock of existing stadiums, the bid’s plans were rocked last week by three cities dropping out citing burdensome financial demands by FIFA.

Vancouver was rejected as a Canadian option because it refused to comply with FIFA’s requirements that include tax waivers and putting agreements under Swiss law.

CBC.ca

About The Author

Reply

Get more stuff like this
in your inbox

Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.