Ryder Cup 2018: US captain Jim Furyk makes revelation ahead of tournament

The USA Captain has managed to temporarily put that aside in posting rounds of 65 and 68 at this week’s Wyndham Championship and the final event of the regular PGA Tour year ahead of the start next week of the four Play-Off Series events. Furyk’s efforts of a seven-under par tally is his best opening 36-holes in just the 15 events the 48-year-old has contested this year. It is no surprise also his European Team rival, Thomas Bjorn has played in only 13 tournaments while the Dane travelled all the way to St. Louis last week only to be forced out

Halep & Djokovic reach quarter-finals – but must play twice in a day

Simona Halep has lost twice in the final at Cincinnati Simona Halep and Novak Djokovic reached the quarter-finals of the Cincinnati Masters as a rain-affected schedule forced them to play twice in a day. World number one Halep of Romania beat Australia’s Ashleigh Barty 7-5 6-4 and had only a few hours’ break until her match with Ukraine’s Lesia Tsurenko. Wimbledon 2018 champion Djokovic of Serbia overcame Bulgaria’s Grigor Dimitrov 2-6 6-3 6-4. Djokovic was then set to play Canada’s Milos Raonic in the last eight. Swiss second seed Roger Federer beat Argentina’s Leonardo Mayer 6-1 7-6 (8-6) to reach

Bob Elliott’s Baseball: ’92-93 Blue Jays are worth remembering

And a good time was had by all … That was often the last line of a story in the newspaper when I’d read about an event my mother had attended. Maybe it was a church bake sale, a charity bazaar or an afternoon tea.  The Toronto Blue Jays hosted some members of the 1992-93 World Series champions on Saturday at the Rogers Centre. Hall of Famers Robbie Alomar and Dave Winfield were on hand. New Hall of Fame inductee Jack Morris and HOFer Paul Molitor were missing but videos of them were played. Morris was having his No. 47 retired at

Kevin Magnussen has created F1 Class B title battle in his mind

× You have now reached your limit of 15 stories this month. Register for free and continue reading – or subscribe and get unlimited access. Register for free Get 10 bonus articles Get unlimited access for £1 Subscribe today I already have an account. Sign in Are you a magazine subscriber? Activate your Plus account Source

‘Changes threaten death of Davis Cup’ – past winners Berdych & Hewitt speak out

Controversial proposals for the 118‑year‑old competition have been approved, despite opposition including from the Lawn Tennis Association Controversial plans to end the Davis Cup’s 37-year-old format will signal the death of the competition, says two-time winner Tomas Berdych. The 25-year £2.15bn plan approved at the International Tennis Federation AGM on Thursday would turn the Davis Cup into a season-ending 18-team event. But Czech Berdych, tweeting with the hashtag #ripdaviscup, said the history of the competition “will all be gone”. Former world number one Lleyton Hewitt called the decision a “disgrace”. “I am very proud to be a winner of the

New floor among Renault F1 aerodynamic updates for 2018 Belgian GP

× You have now reached your limit of 15 stories this month. Register for free and continue reading – or subscribe and get unlimited access. Register for free Get 10 bonus articles Get unlimited access for £1 Subscribe today I already have an account. Sign in Are you a magazine subscriber? Activate your Plus account Source

Robert Kubica driving ‘70% left-handed’ in F1 after rally injury

× You have now reached your limit of 15 stories this month. Register for free and continue reading – or subscribe and get unlimited access. Register for free Get 10 bonus articles Get unlimited access for £1 Subscribe today I already have an account. Sign in Are you a magazine subscriber? Activate your Plus account Source

Rapid growth hurt Renault Formula 1 team’s ‘bang-for-buck’

× You have now reached your limit of 15 stories this month. Register for free and continue reading – or subscribe and get unlimited access. Register for free Get 10 bonus articles Get unlimited access for £1 Subscribe today I already have an account. Sign in Are you a magazine subscriber? Activate your Plus account Source

‘Disaster written all over it’: Cash warns of end of Davis Cup

A World Cup-style tennis tournament could spell the end of the Davis Cup and “has disaster written all over it”, Australian Grand Slam and Davis Cup winner Pat Cash tells BBC Radio 4’s Today. Plans for the new tournament were approved by the International Tennis Federation on Thursday. Chief executive David Haggerty said the decision would elevate the Davis Cup “to new standards”. BBC Sport

Jays lose long-delayed game against Royals, split series

Lucas Duda homered, Rosell Herrera had three hits and the Kansas City Royals beat the Toronto Blue Jays 6-2 after a long rain delay Thursday night to split their four-game series. Royals relievers Brian Flynn, Kevin McCarthy, Brandon Maurer and Wily Peralta shut down the Blue Jays on three hits over the final five innings. Flynn (3-3) picked up the win with a scoreless inning. Kansas City took the lead with a three-run fourth highlighted by Jorge Bonifacio’s RBI triple. Toronto starter Sam Gaviglio (2-6) failed to make it through five innings for the eighth time in his past 13

Williams tester Rowland: Young talent makes F1 chance difficult

Get unlimited access

You have only 5 articles remaining to view this month.

Oliver Rowland has admitted it will be difficult for him to find a 2019 Formula 1 race seat but thinks he will not benefit from “breaking down doors” at Williams.

The 2015 Formula Renault 3.5 champion is Williams’s ‘official young driver’ this season and completed his second day of testing with the team in Hungary this week.

Rowland drove the FW41 at the Hungaroring on Tuesday but a heavy rain shower that hit with just over 90 minutes remaining restricted his running.

He admitted that was “a bit disappointing” and said he “would have liked the opportunity to show a little bit more”, but knew it was more important that the team logged its development data earlier in the day.

Rowland has no more confirmed outings for Williams this year and conceded it would be “difficult” to force himself into a race seat for next season.

“There’s a lot of people knocking on the door that are quite young,” he said.

“I’m pretty happy with where I am at the moment. The relationship with the team is growing stronger and stronger and I’m enjoying what I’m doing back at the factory.

“So, I have to keep pushing on that side, keep doing what I can for the team, and who knows where it will lead.”

Williams’s 2019 driver line-up is uncertain, with Lance Stroll linked to a move to Force India, although that team has gone into administration since those rumours first emerged.

Mercedes youngster George Russell has been linked to a seat at either Force India or Williams, while his Formula 2 title rival Lando Norris is also ahead of Rowland in the queue of British drivers vying for an F1 drive.

Rowland admitted he would likely be at the end of “a domino effect”.

“The people at Williams have two drivers with contracts for next year so normally you’d say no but everybody hears the rumours,” said Rowland.

“I’m just staying quiet. The team seem pretty happy with what I’m doing so I’m not going to go breaking down doors to say, ‘Look at me’, that sort of thing.

“I’m just going to do my job, go about it quietly, and hope they notice.”

Rowland said a planned post-Abu Dhabi Grand Prix test is his best chance to get back behind the wheel of an F1 car.

Asked what was next for him at Williams, Rowland said: “I’m not sure. We’ll go back and do the simulator stuff, keep doing what I’m doing there.

“We’re making really good progress back at the factory and hopefully I’ll attend a few more races.

“Who knows, there’s a test at the end of the year in Abu Dhabi and I’ll be pushing towards that and whatever comes up.”

Source

About The Author

Reply

Get more stuff like this
in your inbox

Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.